Monday, July 25, 2016

Week 44: A lot of times people need to be heard first, before they can listen.

Hello!!

How are you guys? Congratulations to Jaime`s brother for getting married!! That`s so so exciting!!

With my companion we started writing on our big calendars miracles that have happened to us every day, and it`s amazing how the more we write down, the more we see!

This email is a bit of a continuation of the last, and some of this week`s events. This week was so so great, every week of the mission I always think to myself ¨this week has been the best week of my mission¨. We have been teaching a family of a couple and three kids, and these past weeks they have taken some HUGE STEPS!!! It has been so so exciting! From the first day meeting them they explained to us that all they wanted was for the family to be more united and to be ¨good with God¨. The parents were timid at the beginning, but these past couple of weeks we have seen them change from only the Mom going to church, to them all going together as a family, to them reading the scriptures and praying as a family, to them now setting a date to get married! All of these steps have been thanks to a ton of help from a star couple that has been there almost every step of the way encouraging them and always testifying of the importance of the gospel in a happy family. They are not married, and Josue was primarily against the idea, but this week they told us about how they are seeing changes in their relationship and in their home. As a missionary hearing this it just makes us want to jump up and scream YES THATS WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT!!
 
Anyways this week in our prep to teach about marriage and family we read something in Preach my gospel that said ^It`s much more possible toachieve happiness in family life when it is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ and when the family occupies the highest priority for parents^ It was funny because as I was reading this I all of a sudden got choken up thinking about how greatful I am for the family I have and how greatful I am that my parents were so succesful in making us feel like we were the highest priority for them. It`s funny here on the mission, as I learn more about the gospel I learn about how undeservingly spoiled with blessings I have been thanks to the family that I have. My companion was just like "it`s ok, you can cry.."... hahah Just made me think about my sister and brother who are starting their own families, I know that if you trust in this principle you will have the same blessings!! 
 
Another thing that I have been learning this past couple of weeks is how to be a better listener, and to ask better questions. Here alot of people that we meet at times just repeat what they hear, and also expect us to just choke them with information about "some other church".To resolve this problem we have been starting to ask more personal questions from the beginning, like "what changes would you like to see in your life? Instead of Do you believe in God, Why do you believe in God? Or How do you know God knows you? It helps us a lot more to figure out what type of spiritual experiences they have had, and then work from there. Right now I`m just thinking about how how my first week in Honduras that was the first thing that AMAZED me about the culture here, it doesn`t matter who talk to, people are so willing to get down and personal in a few moments of getting to know eachother. I love Honduras.

I was able to put that a little bit in practice when were doing divisions this past week with other hermana missionaries. Right now as an Hermeana Lider Trainer, our calling is to help the hermanas fulfill the potential as missionaries, we do divisions with them (we divide up in companionships) to find out how they are doing, and help resolve conflict. We did divisions with two companionships and I was with one who before I was honestly afraid of her because she is super controlling and their companionship was struggling a ton, but after asking a lot of questions and hearing what she had to say about what was going on, she later thanked me because she felt like she had actually learned something from divisions. Made me super happy and also made me realize that a lot of times people need to be heard first, before they can listen.

It was funny because I was called to serve as Hermana training leader with only 7 months in the mission, and I doubted myself a ton at first, but as I was reading my Patriarchal blessing it told me that I would serve as a leader, and then then in Principles of the gospel it sayd ¨All our given talents and opportunities to serve in callings, but we are always given the choice to deny offering service" after reading that I loled and decided I shouldnt doubdoubt myself because it is really just a calling to serve others haha

Other awesome things that we are seeing is a joven named Alvaro who before, he even said it himself, was super lost, is now setting goals to clean himself up, cut his hair, arrive at church on time, get a job, and go to seminary so that he can go on a mission. I think that is the best thing I get to see in the mission, seeing people make little changes. For small and simple things, are great things brought to pass... (Alma 37:6) We have been reading the Book of Mormon daily with him. He is super cool

Adrianna needs to record for me a song that me the song I am His Daughter by Nicole Sheahan beacause it is my jam and every time I hear it I hear Adrianna`s voice.


Love you!!!! all!!!! You guys are all so awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment